Back Bay Tutors Terms of Service
REGULAR SEMESTER TUTORING HOURS
- Monday: 12pm-8pm*
- Tuesday: 12pm-8pm*
- Wednesday: 12pm-8pm*
- Thursday: 12pm-8pm*
- * Individual tutoring hours may vary, especially during holidays and summer semesters; please contact your tutor for availability.
Online Tutoring Session Rate: $45 per hour**
In-Person Tutoring Session Rate: $50 per hour**
** See FEES section below for more details.
All tutoring sessions are individual, one-on-one sessions. Back Bay Tutors does not offer group tutoring sessions.
All tutoring sessions are held either in-person in the Back Bay area at specific locations pre-approved by Back Bay Tutors based on the safety and accessibility of the Student and the Tutor, or online using Skype or Google Hangouts. Back Bay Tutors does not offer in-home tutoring sessions.
ONLINE TUTORING SESSIONS
All online tutoring sessions are accessible via Skype or Google Hangouts. It is the Student's responsibility to download, install, and configure video-conferencing software before the tutoring session begins. Back Bay Tutors does not currently offer online tutoring sessions via Apple FaceTime or Facebook Video Calling.
- STANDARD TUTORING SESSION RATES: Tutoring session fees shall be calculated based upon the following rates: Online Tutoring Session Rate: $45 per hour or In-Person Tutoring Session Rate: $50 per hour. Fees are calculated up to the end of the session time based on fractions of an hour. For ease of calculation, the Tutor may round up to the full hour if the end of the session has 10 minutes or less remaining in the hour.
- TUTORING SESSION NOTES PREPARATION RATE: All tutoring session notes preparation work done by the Tutor in order to make the Student's tutoring session more efficient - including reviewing assignments and course readings, organizing notes, and doing additional research - will be charged at the rate of $15 per hour. NOTE: See WRITING ASSISTANCE RATE and EXAM PREPARATION RATE sections for other rates.
- WRITING ASSISTANCE RATE: All research, outline, and editing work done by the Tutor before or during the tutoring session will be charged at the rate of $45 per hour.
- EXAM PREPARATION RATE: All exam preparation work done by the Tutor in order to assist the Student in preparation for exams, quizzes, tests, and midterms - including reviewing assignments and course readings, organizing notes, and doing additional research - will be charged at the rate of $45 per hour.
- TEXTBOOK AND COURSE MATERIALS REIMBURSEMENT: In cases where the Tutor will need a separate copy of course textbook(s) or other course materials in order to better assist the Student, the Student shall provide required textbook(s) and course materials or reimburse the Tutor for the cost of purchase or rental of textbook(s) and course materials if the total cost to the Tutor is above $100 for the Student during the semester.
Payment shall be made immediately at the end of each tutoring session. Accepted methods of payment include: Cash, PayPal, Credit Card, and Bank of America Electronic Funds Transfer.
Pre-payments are subject to approval by Back Bay Tutors before being credited to the Student's account for future tutoring sessions.
Failure to pay within 24 hours after the end of the tutoring session will result in an additional late-payment fee of $10 per day. Failure to pay the total amount due within 5 days of the Student's last tutoring session may result in cessation of future services.
CANCELLATION OF TUTORING SESSIONS BY THE STUDENT
Less than 24 hour notice of cancellation by the Student will result in a $10 late cancellation fee due at next tutoring session.
ACADEMIC OR CRIMINAL DISHONESTY
- The Tutor refuses to participate in aiding and abetting the Student in any manner of plagiarism or cheating, and will discontinue any and all future tutoring sessions should the Tutor discover that he or she has unwittingly helped the Student engage in plagiarism or cheating in any way.
- The Student will neither ask nor coerce the Tutor into engaging or aiding him or her in an act of plagiarism or cheating, and will be subject to cessation of all future tutoring sessions by Back Bay Tutors should the Student try to ask or coerce the Tutor into engaging in plagiarism or cheating in any way. The Student will be completely and solely liable for any acts of plagiarism and cheating that he or she engages in.
- Neither the Tutor nor Back Bay Tutors will ever be held liable in any way for any acts of plagiarism or cheating engaged in by the Student. The Tutors will never knowingly participate in academic or criminal dishonesty, nor will they encourage the Students to engage in any academic or criminal dishonesty.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE STUDENT
- The Student undertakes to assist the Tutor in identifying problem areas in which the Student needs specific tutoring.
- The Student will arrive on time for each scheduled tutoring session and will pay for the full time used for the session.
- The Student will be prepared for each tutoring session and have all materials ready by the beginning of each session.
- The Student will buy or rent his or her own textbooks or other educational tools. The Tutor will never buy materials on behalf of the Student nor loan the Student money, or accept moneys unrelated to direct payment for aforementioned tutoring services.
- The Student agrees to pay for the entirety of the Tutorís time in accordance with the rates listed under FEES section - promptly - at the end of each tutoring session.
- The Student must give reasonable notice to the Tutor at least 12-24 hours ahead of time to schedule a tutoring session.
- The Student will monitor course assignment due dates and exam dates, and schedule tutoring sessions adequately ahead of time to prepare before course assignment due dates or exam dates. The Tutor will never be required to monitor upcoming course assignment due dates or exam dates for the Student.
- Although the Tutor may occasionally provide written notes to help the Student better understand course materials and assignments, these notes and explanations are not intended to be substitutes for course lectures, class notes, assigned readings, and course assignments. They are intended only to help the Student better understand the course material. It is the Student's responsibility to complete course readings and assignments independently themselves before attending classes or submitting assignments.
- For online tutoring sessions, the Student is expected to install and set up video-chat software before the tutoring session begins.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE TUTOR
- The Tutor undertakes to teach the Student in a manner that helps the Student understand basic course concepts.
- The Tutor shall at no time be required or obliged to do homework or assignments on behalf of, for, or instead of the Student, but is only available to assist the Student in their assignments and course material comprehension.
- The Tutor will never be required to monitor upcoming course assignment due dates or exam dates for the Student. It is the Student's responsibility to monitor course assignment due dates and exam dates, and schedule tutoring sessions adequately ahead of time to prepare before course assignment due dates or exam dates.
- The Tutor will never act as a business consultant for businesses or colleges. The Tutor can only give academic tutoring.
- The Tutor shall keep confidential all identifying information of the Student, except as mandated by law.
The Tutor makes no promises or warranties with regards to the Student's performance or grades as a result of any tutoring provided. Payment for tutoring is exchanged for good-faith academic help and assistance by the Tutor. Payment is NEVER made in exchange for a warranty or guarantee of a particular grade or grade increase.
STATUS OF THE TUTOR
It is expressly understood that the Student retains the services of the Tutor as an independent contractor and not as an employee. The Tutor shall be responsible for his or her insurance and for all statutory declarations and contributions with regard to income tax.
- All rights reserved. Back Bay Tutors retains sole copyright over all notes and special notes created by the Tutor. No part of notes provided by the Tutor may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted for commercial or non-commercial use in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of Back Bay Tutors.
- Should there be any legal disputes or administrative issues between the Student, the Student's guardian, or any third party having dealings with or representing the Student, and Back Bay Tutors, both parties shall first attempt arbitration exclusively in Suffolk County, Massachusetts in order to resolve the disputed issues. If the parties fail to find resolution through arbitration, then all disputes arising under these Terms of Service shall be governed, construed, and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Massachusetts, and exclusively conducted and decided in Suffolk County, Massachusetts, without regard to any other county, state, national, or international conflict of laws rules.
This tutoring relationship is at-will and may be terminated by either the Student or the Tutor at any time for any reason. Any late or final payment by the former Student will be due within 10 business days of the last agreed-to tutoring session.
RELAXATION OF TERMS
No relaxation, indulgence, waiver, or release by any party to this agreement regarding the rights or policies therein on one or more occasions shall prevent the subsequent enforcement of such rights and policies in the future, and shall not be deemed to be a future waiver of any of the rights and policy terms herein.
Last updated: September 10, 2017